Parental Rights

This week, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice told a group of 120 students that administration officials are actively discussing “when and how it might be possible to join” (that is, ratify) the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).

Anytime power is given to the UN (which is NOT a government but more like a ‘club’ of governments) by signing a treaty, the US loses a little bit more of its sovereignty and its citizens lose a LOT more of their individual rights. In this case, parental rights would be overridden.

1. Call the White House comments line at 202-456-1111. Tell them you heard the administration wants to ratify the CRC, and you strongly oppose this giving away of U.S. sovereignty to the UN. Also, keep in mind that this treaty gives the government jurisdiction to override any decision made by any parent if the government thinks that a better decision can be made—even if there is no proof of any harm.

2. Call the Ambassador Susan Rice’s office at the United Nations. Tell her that you want her to represent the United States to the world rather than trying to get the United States to go along with international law initiated by the UN. Her office number is 212-415-4000.

3. Contact your senators and urge them to oppose ratification of this treaty. Ask them also to defeat it once and for all by cosponsoring SJ Res 16—the Parental Rights Amendment.